1. Any CDC, local health department, CCAOM or other agency updates?
US 21,529,997 confirmed cases 299,904 new cases in 24 hours 359,849 deaths 3,844 new deaths in 24hours
TX 1,666,487 confirmed cases 19,598 new cases in 24 hours 28,938 deaths 393 new deaths in 24 hours
53,935Travis county confirmed cases 564 deaths
- COVID cases continue to surge in Texas
Austin area hospitalization trend means businesses could soon have to roll back capacity
-The more contagious variant of COVID-19 first seen in the UK is confirmed in Harris county (Houston), first case in Texas. While the variant spreads more quickly, researchers say its symptoms are not more severe. The infected person was reported to be a man between the ages of 30 and 40 who lives just outside of the Houston city limits. He has no history of travel, which suggest community spread.
-The Travis County Medical Society, representing 4,000 Austin doctors, has issued a call for qualified members willing to work temporarily as inpatient physicians because of a "surge of COVID patients that has stressed our inpatient medical care. “We are seeking internal medicine, family physicians and qualified specialists who feel comfortable with hospital care," a letter says. "The expectation would be rounding on 10 to 12 patients a day."
-Texas will begin to direct COVID vaccine to large hubs next week. Providers that can serve 100,000 people or more will soon be receiving more vaccines from the federal government. Although most of the vaccines will be directed to these large hubs, additional vaccines will still be sent to smaller providers across the state. The providers who receive these larger amounts will be asked to vaccinate health care workers, people who are 65 or older, and those who have a medical condition that increases their risk of severe disease or death.
2.Updates on any action items:
-Travel Policy. Please remember that traveling by car can be done safely and our policy allows for it conditionally. Please let Michael Jewell know of any travel plans and complete the related questionnaire.
- Questions have come up regarding postponement of hands. Any classes that can be postponed or done on-line will not be conducted on campus to minimize COVID risk. All clinics and classes are assessed for special circumstances under which we consider taking risk because otherwise students would not be able to graduate timely. All of this is very fluid and must be reassessed often considering the COVID case rates and hospitalization rates in Austin and Travis county. We appreciate everyone’s support and understanding.
3. Communication for our AOMA community? Any new issues?
-Same as in #2.
4. Good news, positive experiences in last 24 hours
-Today is also the birthday of Elvis Presley, Stephen Hawking, David Bowie and many others.
-On January 5 Camillia Hunter celebrated her birthday. Belated Happy Birthday Camillia!
-Also, Jonathan Quintanilla celebrated a birthday on January 6, Happy belated birthday to him!