1. Any CDC, local health department, CCAOM or other agency updates?
US 10,846,373confirmed cases 155,708 new cases in 24 hours 244,810 deaths 1,252 new deaths in 24 hours
TX 1,014,160 confirmed cases 8,989new cases in 24 hours 19,470 deaths 150 new deaths in 24 hours Travis county 34,204 confirmed cases 458 deaths
- Good news, another pharmaceutical company, Moderna also has an effective vaccine and better results than Pfizer with 94.5% effectiveness in preventing COVID.
-Reported by the Texas Tribune, El Paso is overwhelmed with COVID so much so incarcerated individuals from the local jail are asked to work in the county morgue.
-Austin High School announced that M-W all students will learn remotely because of increased cases of COVID, extra curricular activities will cancelled or held off campus
-Nationally we are continuing to see increases in COVID. CDC is asking Americans to seriously consider Holiday Plans and avoid gathering and travel
-Middle schools like Lively Middle, are continuing to announce more cases to parents thus many parents opting to keep their children at hom.
2.Updates on any action items:
- Based on suggestions from our Faculty meeting Friday night, we’ll have the Safety committee meet and see if Austin Public Health can join us. The issues brought forward were well vetted earlier in the year but no reason not to see if there is more we can do. Always good to continually re-evaluate our plans.
3. Communication for our AOMA community? Any new issues?
-Dr. Damon Tweedy Q&A tomorrow, will be recorded and the recording will be shared. Dr. Tweedy wrote a powerful article for the NY Times regarding racism in Medical Schools and Practice. The Q&A is sure to be very thought provoking for all clinicians.
-Tomorrow panel discussion with Dell Medical school, should be a great discussion on integrative care. We encourage everyone to join!
-CCAOM meeting on Thursday ACAOM is extending our Distance Learning (DL) waiver beyond Dec.31 indefinitely through the COVID crisis. ACAOM has not increased the hours required for students only extended waiver to do classes via DL
- Some students are questioning if they have met their hourly cap on required clinic hours. Source for this are our Clinic Advisors; Robert, Lesley, Phil, and Reagan. Ashley will work with Student services to get this kind of information published so students can manage the hours in a more streamlined process.
-This is last week to have students on campus for clinics please make your student clinic appointments now!
4. Good news, positive experiences in last 24 hours
November 16 is
Have a party with your bear day
International Day of Tolerance