I recently discovered a bug with wix when posts are published. To ensure that you have access to all of the minutes, I've inserted the document with ALL briefing minutes below with our briefing minutes for today with special notes about Black History Month.
Briefing Minutes 2.10:
1. Any CDC, local health department, CCAOM or other agency updates?
US 26,939,515 confirmed cases 86,706 new cases in 24hours 463,659deaths 1,622 new deaths in 24 hours
TX 2,177,572 confirmed cases 10,378new cases in 24hours 39,001 deaths 301 new deaths in 24hours
Travis county 72,279 confirmed cases 774 deaths
- Big news – Austin/Travis county’s COVID risk level has been downgraded to Stage 4
The downgrading is issued because the seven-day rolling average of new hospitalizations is at 55, and while that is still within Stage 5 levels, the downward trajectory is such that health officials are comfortable with going to Stage 4. We went to Stage V just before Christmas. If hospitalization rate continue to hold we city officials think we could go to Stage III by March.
- Austin Public Health has received shipment of second doses.
- There will be an interfaith gathering memorializing the 685 dead in Travis county and 465thousand victims of COVID nationwide. The “Remembrance for those we’ve lost” will be held February 28th, 3pm via Microsoft Teams and on the Austin Parks and Recreation Department’s YouTube channel and Facebook page. This is an interfaith service of secular and non-secular memorials.
2.Updates on any action items:
- A pilot team has been established to test bringing back some procedures we temporarily discontinued due to COVID safety. Prone treatments, massage chair with face cradle and cupping will all be piloted in the Pro Clinic for two weeks to begin this weekend. If all can be done safely then these will resume in both Pro and Student Clinics.
3. Communication for our AOMA community? Any new issues?
- We could have some inclement weather over later in the week and over the weekend. If any classes or clinics are planned we need to be sure this can be done safely.
4. Good news, positive experiences in last 24 hours
February is Black History Month
Black History & Acupuncture in America
In recognition of Black History Month, I want to share an article written last week by Tenisha Dandridge, LAc, in which she shares some little-known history about how African-Americans used acupuncture as a tool to fight racial injustice in the 1970’s, and in doing so were some of the earliest pioneers of acupuncture in the United States.
Dr. Mutulu Shakur (Tupac’s stepfather), activist and acupuncturist at the Lincoln Detox Center from 1971-1978.
In the late 1960s and early 70s, the black and Latino communities in Brooklyn were struggling with widespread addiction to heroin and methadone, due in large part to racist US government policies that supplied these communities with drugs and withheld resources necessary for care. So much so that a group of Black Panthers, Young Lords, and other activists literally took over a wing of the dilapidated Lincoln Hospital and refused to leave, using the space to provide community healthcare and addiction treatment for their community. This was the birth of the Lincoln Detox Center, which was the first drug rehabilitation program in American to incorporate acupuncture. This later led to the foundation of the National Acupuncture Detoxification Association (NADA) and is a fore-runner of the community acupuncture model used across the country today.Read Tenisha’s article by clicking here.
Related: The podcast DOPE is death is available to stream for free. Shares more information on the establishment of the Lincoln Detox Center https://dopeisdeath.com/ Another link https://youtu.be/Ua-m7AANkQ4
February 10 is
National Cream Cheese Brownie Day
National Home Warranty Day
National Umbrella Day
National Plimsoll Day
All Minutes for ALL Briefings