AOMA weekly updates (week of 1/11/20)
1. AOMA’s desire to combat racism and healthcare disparities –
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day will be Monday, January 18. We have plans to properly honor the great Civil Rights Leader.
2. Plans and issues related to COVID-19 crisis including clinic and campus re-openings
- Austin continues to have a huge surge in COVID case rates. We’ve had a couple of instances where students and Supervisors have entered Clinic without screening. Screening is mandatory! Please hold each other accountable. If an individual does not have a wrist band they most likely have not been screened please notify a Supervisor or Administrator. Only through screening can we truly minimize COVID risk.
-Vaccines are being offered by many providers in Austin. All students treating patients are eligible for the vaccine under the States 1A category. Austin Public Health (APH) is offering free vaccine. One must pre-register and then will be scheduled. There are no walk-ins, vaccine is by appointment only but hubs are being set up around the county.
3. Key operational issues or updates
- Please welcome Rita Terrell as our new Librarian. She steps into the role on January 18. She will spend the week transitioning with David York. On Friday Dec. 22 from noon to 1:30 there will be a retirement celebration for David. Be on the lookout for the invitation with the Zoom link.
- We are excited to also welcome Dami Tokoya who will step into the Sr. Director of Student Services role. She will step into the role on January 25th. She’ll transition working with Robert Laguna who will be stepping into his new role as Support Services and Community Clinics Coordinator.
4. Important announcements or answers to questions sent in by students, faculty or staff
-We are in process of interviewing our next VP of Academics as Dr. Hamilton prepares to go into semi-retirement (she’ll stay at AOMA as our Accreditation Coordinator) and will help the person who steps into the role properly onboard. We will also begin the interviewing for the role of Sr. Director of Clinical Excellence. When these roles are filled I’ll hold a series of Town Meetings to introduce the new staff and discuss the new organizational chart and council structure designed to support strong student success.
Take care, stay safe and stay healthy (mind, body and spirit).
With Love and Peace,
Got a question for Mary? Don’t hesitate to send her an email at email@example.com and you will receive a response in a timely fashion. If your question involves another department, we will make sure they receive the quest